Wednesday 8 February 2012

SCHOOL'S OUT - HEY, WISE UP

As I sat here thinking that there is so much school work to get done it just bothers me where as young people energy is found to be bothered with sex and contraceptive.

I certainly do not think that this is the time when as young people we ought to be so engrossed with sex and contraceptive. I have never met a teen who have not regretted getting involved so soon.

One of the things I think that contributes to young people having sex is the lack of attention and affection at home. I believe that if parents spend more quality time with their children when they are young and formed that necessary bond with them, it becomes easier when they become teenagers to communicate with them.

Peer Pressure
We live in an age when promiscuity seems to be the “in thing” and many young people although not involved in these activities pretend they are, just to be a part of the “in crowd”. There are many contributing factor that leads the young people down this slippery slope and if we think putting a band aid on it by dishing out contraceptive pills is going to help solve this problem then I must say whoever suggest this is dafter than I thought.

Which raises a moral issue; one would ask the question is it right to give someone’s child the choice of contraception without the knowledge of the parent? At what point should the lines be drawn? As I read this story I am just amaze that these things are tolerated by adults and at the same time, many think that as youth we are careless and frivolous, but sometimes when I examine the behaviour of some of our adults it makes me wonder. Note this article http://www.metro.co.uk/news/889631-schoolgirls-given-contraceptive-implants-without-parents-knowledge.

The problem of teenage sex is not a local one but one that seems to haunt every society.  http://tfcus.homestead.com/Anna_Wiersema.pdf this article was written by a teenager.

I sometimes wish that someone would listen to us rather than think they can solve this problem with a band aid.

Sexual Promiscuity in Adolescents
“Statistics: According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 36.9 percent of 14-year-olds have had sex - more than one out of three. Among 12th graders, 66.4 percent have had sex." See article. .http://www.aspeneducation.com/factsheetpromiscuity.html

The facts are there, yet they are being ignored when will someone wake up and realize it is not contraceptive that is needed it is abstention! Self Control! and perhaps some help from the media in the glamorization of sex.


No comments:

Post a Comment